The holistic approach to any human being starts and ends with the Mind, Body and Spirit. It’s common in the market place to reference the Mind, Body, and Spirit, and think of it in that particular order. I would like to point out that we actually express these three in the wrong order. It should be Spirit, Mind, and Body. The order is very important as it pertains to our walk in life. Let me explain. If you don’t have your Spirit right, then your Mind and Body will follow.
So, the first priority in our daily walk, is to get our Spirit in tune with our Mind and Body. If we are not happy spiritually, then our mind will be confused, and our bodies will be out of shape. However, it is possible to have your Spirit right, but your Mind out of tune with your Spirit and Body. For example, my wife and I love the show, “The Biggest Loser”. We love watching the eight week complete transformation of an individual. Contestants walk onto the show hundreds of pounds over weight. What is interesting to my wife and I, is it’s really not about eating less and exercising more. This is how ABC promotes the show, and how they tell the story of the overweight contestant that comes to the Biggest Loser ranch at 550 lbs, and leaves the ranch 180lbs. What makes my wife and I emotional almost every episode, is when the trainers get deep down inside the contestants heart and mind, and see what the contestant is going through emotionally. The best trainers on the show will help them identify their dysfunctional inner Spirit problems, and get them to overcome their issues. Once they identify the issue, the trainer then begins to push them where they never imagined going before. The contestants that win every year are not the ones who consumed less calories and exercised more. They are the ones who were able to move past their problems the most. When your Spirit and Mind are right, your Body will follow. It doesn’t work the opposite way. You have to get your Spirit and Mind right before you can get your Body right.
So then, how do you get your Spirit, Mind and Body right? Feeding your Spirit comes in many different shapes and forms such as meditation, time alone, praying, and fasting. When you spend time alone in prayer and meditation, you grow and feed your Spirit. Getting your Mind right, is seeking knowledge. We’ve all pursued knowledge and end up with nothing to show for it. Getting your Mind right, is chasing knowledge inside your passions and skill-set. The Reset agency has an assessment tool called the Reset Meter, which helps to identify your Passion score, Self Determination score, Talent and Skill score. This would be one example of chasing knowledge and assessing yourself.
Thus, getting your Mind right, is processing data inside your passions and skill-set, which has the biggest and most therapeutic impact in your life. When you are chasing knowledge and wisdom and have the ability to apply it; that is when you feel the most free. Confucius once said “What I hear- I forget...What I see- I remember...What I do- I understand.”
Getting your body right is a little more misguided. There are hundreds of thousands of people that work out everyday and try to get their body into shape. Some people workout three days a week, five days a week, and some even workout seven days a week. The health and fitness industry is a billion dollar a month industry. Billions of dollars spent trying to figure out how to lose weight, and stay in shape. Beach Body products like P90x and Insanity, spend 9-10 million dollars a month in infomercial ads. If you are one of these people working out three to five, or even seven times a week on your body, then why are you not working on your Spirit and Mind five to seven times a week as well? The Spirit and Mind are equally as important as the body, yet we spend more money and time on our body. Why? The answer is simple. It’s more popular to work on your body, and more people make money off of you and your fat. Society tells us that our bodies and appearance are the most important things about us. Plus, companies have the added bonus of you coming back to spend more money, because 90% of all diet plans don’t work. Why you may ask? Re-read the above paragraphs. The “committee of they” doesn’t want you to have balance between your Spirit, Mind and Body. They want to keep you fat and out of shape, so they can make more money off of you!
Recent blog posts
Links to Cool Stuff
- Three Strategies for Making Employee Engagement Stick
- Was Steve Jobs a Role Model for Leaders?
- Job Satisfaction Against the Odds
- Why the "Expert From Afar" Principle Works
- Find Your Start-up Idea (You won't have to look far)
- Your Employees Don't "Get" Your Brand
- Executive ADD: Information Overload and Your Career
- The Making of a Corporate Athelete
- Secrets from the World's Happiest Workplace
- How One Young Trep Bucked the Odds During the Great Recession
- TEDxMacquarieUniversity - Glen Gerreyn - Purpose
- Why Do So Many Professional Athletes Go Broke?
- CEO Communications: 5 Phrases that Signal 'BS'
- Simon Sinek - Inspiring Leaders
- Nation of Whimps
- The Cult of Chick-fil-A
- What’s Wrong With Your Employees?
- Listen to Dave and Jason on C2A Today with Steve Noble
- Twelve Signs Arrogance Is Running Your Company
- Discover Your Passions to Find the Right Job
- Reset Graduate Jeremy Willis wins 5 gold medals at Track & Field Southeast Regional Championships
- Special Thanks to Graduate Todd Ackerman for the Resource
- Dave gives an interview with Steve Noble on Called2Action Today
- Dave gives an interview with Wallbuilders
- Dave gives an interview on the Empowerment Hour
- Reset graduate Jeremy Willis wins Silver in USA Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships
- Reset graduate Karen Strite's blog
- WSJ: Time To Reset Your Business?
- Five Industries Hit The Reset Button
- A new commercial for The Reset Agency, on your airwaves now!